Re: [Phys-l] innumeracy

----- Original Message ----- From: "John M Clement" <clement@hal-pc.org>

Numerically illiterate is not innumeracy. Technically numeracy is the
understanding of numbers, not literacy in particular areas such as
geographical numbers... While understanding things like the budget
requires both interest in the budget and numeracy. The US budget does
not impinge on daily life so it is fairly irrelevant to most people.
Also the population of a given area is generally irrelevant to common
every day life.

I agree with Marty, we are just haggling over nomenclature. I would tend to say that all those who answered that the U.S. population was under 10 million people DON'T understand numbers--and that was 10/35 of the participants. That only 4 people came within a factor of 2--only 3 knowing the actual number, it the telling thing.

Rick