Re: [Phys-l] innumeracy

Depends on your idea of peer instruction. For me, it's a set of multiple
choice (conceptual) questions for a given topic. Private voting, then
discussing with each other to reach a consensus. Sometimes called
Think-Pair-Share.

Works well in my (high school) classes. Learning and grades have improve.
Positive feedback from my students. Very effective.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
| Make
| them take ownership of their learning (e.g. peer instruction).
| Do demos and activities.

My experience has been that many (most?) students who like to take
ownership of their learning, dislike the formal peer instruction method.
Informally, in the dorm rooms and bars may be a different matter.