Re: [Phys-l] momentum first and relativistic mass

Let me try and make my point clearer. What I'm suggesting is not denying or ignoring the 4-space/Minkowski/Denker approach, but rather trying to justify an introductory approach that deals with slow clocks, compressed lengths, and increased mass BECAUSE as 3-dimensional beings living in linear time (unlike the wormhole aliens of DS-9 ;-) our experiences--or at least our extrapolations to what we think we would experience tend to fit those ideas. Thus, a first pass through SR with slow clocks etc. seems more reasonable to me than immediately jumping into a more mathematical approach.

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alfredo Louro" <louro.alfredo@gmail.com>

Four-momentum is m dr / d tau, where tau is the proper time, and dr is
a displacement in space time [dt, dx, dy, dz]. Thus the time component
is gamma m, and each of the spatial components is gamma m v_{x,y,z}.
The gamma doesn't appear because the mass is variable, but because
ordinary time is not invariant. You can also define a four-force as
dp/d tau.

I think a good approach is to think that nature doesn't know about
different reference frames. So we expect any natural laws that arise
to refer to invariant quantities. There is an invariant mass.

Another thing worth considering is that while you can recover the
familiar newtonian mechanics in the limit v << c, you can't really
extrapolate in the other direction.

Alfredo