Re: [Phys-L] Indicators of quality teaching (Was:MOOC: Edx OffersMechanics course by Prof.Walter Lewin)

"Gain"... obviously the latest word of the year. Let's talk about socio-economic status. What about a student who never took any physics before and his parents are working people; suppose he exits with a good working knowledge of the basicson a post-test (final exam or state test, no matter which.) As contrasted to someone whose father is a physics major, has been around scientists his whole life, but likewise has never taken physics before. He exits the same class with a good working knowledge of the same basics and receives the same final grade on the post-test. Now if the knowledge "gain" is based on a pre-test, which doesn't count, and a post-test would you say they had the same gain or did the student with the non-physics background experience MORE gain than did the student who came from a science background. The test doesn't measure home life, so who had the most gain?

I fear that this word "gain" is just the latest of many such words used to describe something that is immeasurable in one's education and life.

On Jun 21, 2013, at 4:40 PM, Rauber, Joel wrote:

The gain in physics for phyics majors for the entire educational process is very impressive, even for those who mostly were educated traditionally. I'm referring of course to the kindergarten -- Bachelors gain