Re: [Phys-L] Indicators of quality teaching (Was:MOOC: Edx OffersMechanics course by Prof.Walter Lewin)

Again this is an argument based on surface features rather than actual
evidence. Students may not be slouches, but does that mean that they are
actually making good gain. You really do not know unless there has been
testing for gain, or the course has been evaluated for features that are
known to produce higher gain. One thing that the research has shown is that
even graduate students in physics have been found to exhibit significant
misconceptions. Notice I am not saying most or all, but a significant number
have been found. I have no doubt that they come in with higher
understanding, but how much do they gain? Incidentally the argument that
they are no slouches has no bearing on Lewin because that factor would also
apply to any other teacher.

Rensselaer is a competitor to MIT and they found that their course was only
getting low gain, despite their reputation for teaching excellence. Then
look at the Private Universe video and you see even professors and graduate
students spouting absolute scintific nonsense. This video was made at
Harvard and MIT graduation. Have you watched it? It is on the web if you
search for it.

So is there any actual evidence for the assertion that Lewin is getting
superior results????? If nobody can come up with actual evidence and not
opinion, then it can not be determined. Whenever I ask these kinds of
questions, nobody comes up with an answer, so I must conclude that my
questioning is valid, and that my skepticism is correct. Indeed nobody even
admits to not having evidence.

Just remember the research that shows the only factor that matters is what
you do in class, and not who your are or what your style is.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

You must remember where Dr. Lewin teaches.... MIT students
are no slouches. If their graduates are not learners and
"gainers" as you like to put it then the trait doesn't exist.
And, Dr. Lewin would have to have exhibited the traits of
all good MIT professors or else he would be there after many,
many years in the Physics department. In fact when we walked
to his classroom and lecture hall we would pass the offices
of his colleagues, several of whom were famous in their own
right. That didn't necessarily make them good teachers, but
consider who matriculates in this institution and what they
produce when they graduate. Consider that there has to be
"gaining" going on... the whole area of Cambridge surrounding
the campus is filled with offices and buildings where you
will find start-up businesses run by MIT professors and
graduates. Consider that MIT graduates are sought after by
the top companies in the world and that to have these three
letters after your name is a key to succ
ess anywhere. Consider that there are more foreign graduate
students and a substantial number of foreign undergrads there
than USA citizens... the intensity of learning is such that
many of our best and brightest simply cannot keep up the
pace. Yet, Dr. Lewin and m,any of the others I have
encountered there certainly do produce the learning you so
covet or else these governments wouldn't spend the money to
send their own best and brightest to the US to attend this
institution if they were not receiving "gains". It's just a
shame that their "gains" draw innovation away from our own
country. But that's a subject for another thread.