Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

At 2:21 AM +0000 7/11/12, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

There appears to be an assumption here that more money sent to schools from taxes equates to better results. I think you would find it hard to discover anyone except those whose livelihood depends on the schools who would accept that assertion. We have students from Nepal who attend out college (because of our 3-2 program that leads to a transfer to Columbia U). They are all from families who cannot afford to enter Columbia directly. Uniformly, they are far better educated than our US students. Obviously, money spent in the school system is not the answer.

No, it's not the entire answer, but it's at least a large part of it. Why do you suppose that the private schools that Anthony Lapinski wrote about see fit to charge tuitions twice and more than the typical public school spends per student? Presumably, it is because providing the type of education that they offer (and I hope that it is a very good one, at that price) is an expensive proposition.

But the quality of education depends on a lot of things that aren't necessarily included in the economics of education.

The working conditions of the teachers and staff at public schools is a major one.

Other intangibles include the parental involvement (and that is a mixed bag--there is good parental involvement and bad parental involvement--I would hope that we could expect the good kind but that's not guaranteed and the bad kind can have terrible effects on the quality of a school).

The management of the school and of the district are also important factors. Most schools are run by top-down management, in which the teachers have little or nothing to say about how the educational process is carried out, and they are expected to simply accept whatever the leaders say to do without question. Having spent nearly 20 years in the teaching industry and more than 20 as a military officer, my impression is that the K-12 education system is far more top-down oriented than is the military system.

Class size is highly important, especially if we are going to use anything other than "direct" instruction (i.e., lecture), and particularly so in science. Trying to supervise a lab exercise for upwards of 30 students by a single teacher is perilously close to mission impossible, and at the very best will leave some students out of the game completely, as the teacher concentrates attention on those who demand it more loudly.

Family conditions are important as well, students who come to work tired, underfed or stoned are not going to do well in school, and there is precious little that the teacher can do to correct such a situation.

Overall student load can be devastating. student loads of 125 upwards to over 200 are common, and leave the teachers with almost no time to deal with students on an individual basis. Tests and assignments have to be structured to allow very quick grading so the all-important feedback to the students can be timely. Expecting a teacher to put in a long day at school and then have hours of grading and preparation to do after they get home is totally unreasonable. Lighter class-load and fewer student, along with a private office to be able to do grading and preparation are crucial.

The state of repair and the proper design of the school are also important. Just as with private sector jobs, productivity ends to be higher when the surroundings are well-kept and inviting. Teachers need to be able to expect not less.

Some of these things will cost more money, but some of them won't, so money isn't everything, but it is a factor, and all of the above considerations are important. As long as the public schools are required to take every student who shows up at the door, it is important that we provide a comfortable and inviting environment for both students and teachers, if we want the students to have a productive school career.

I'll leave the issue of teacher preparation, and the too-often-required teaching-out-of-competency-field for another discussion.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense officials do not
put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and worry less about where
more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious. New discoveries are all around
us, and when we have to make them, we nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948