Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

My postings were strictly referencing the charter we have been associated with. You can surmise what you wish, but there has never been a hint of foul play with the lottery nor have students been bounced to other schools because of behavior.

Except for this one school, I really have no strong feelings about charters one way or the other. One of the charters in Providence (the Textron School) was notified that its charter would be pulled next year due to it not reaching the standards set for charters (which the regular public schools don't have to meet). I have not seen any evidence that charters alone will cure what ails education in Providence. What I am a strong advocate of, however, is the use of vouchers.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] on behalf of John Denker [jsd@av8n.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:44 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 07/09/2012 08:39 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
Do you guys make this up as you go along?

I've been on this list for something like 13½ years.
Have you not figured out anything about me in that time?
Has it never crossed your mind that maybe I do not make stuff
up as I go along ... that I actually check stuff before posting it?

That is quite a charge to make without some kind of evidence

Tu quoque.

Did it cross your mind to spend a couple of seconds googling
to see whether there was any readily-available evidence, before
accusing multiple other people of making stuff up?

I apologize for wasting two seconds of your time by not footnoting
every sentence I write. Let me make it up to you:
http://www.copaa.org/general/charter-schools-and-students-with-disabilities-preliminary-analysis-of-the-legal-issues-and-concerns/

I am aware of reports describing *some* charter schools that do
not discriminate ... but such anecdotes do not outweigh statistical
evidence.