Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-
l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 1:04 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 07/09/2012 06:47 AM, Jeff Bigler wrote:

As I occasionally say to my students, "Where's That From?"--acronym
intended.

ROTFL here. That's a keeper.

I'm finding that,
compared with the charter school, my public-school students ........

I realize it is conventional to speak of charter schools as being disjoint from
the public schools, but one could argue for the following taxonomy
instead:

schools
/ \
/ \
/ \
publicly private
funded & \
tested \
/ \ \
/ \ \
/ \ \
district charter truly
public public private
schools schools schools

(see also below)

As always, I don't want to argue about the terminology, and I would be
delighted if somebody could suggest some better terminology, but the
underlying point remains: I find it helpful to distinguish charter schools from
_district_ schools (rather than from "public" schools).
*) In some ways, the charter schools are unlike the district schools,
for instance in having more selective admissions and selective
retention. This is an important distinction; however ...

[LaMontagne, Bob]
Depends where you live. Our charter schools in RI admit students by lottery.