Re: [Phys-l] Hybrid mileage

This kind of use is what calls for the 'plug-in' variety of 'hybrid' that depends on battery and only uses the gasoline to extend it's range.

Chevy Volt?
and a Chinese offering in the offing??

At 7:13 AM -0600 1/6/10, Rauber, Joel wrote:
My prius mileage is not close to advertised and drops substantially in the winter. I think it is mostly due to what Rick mentions below. I only have less than a half mile commute to work; so a lot of my miles are never out of the initial engine warming up stages at high revs.

Joel Rauber, Ph.D Professor and Head of Physics
Department of Physics
South Dakota State University
Brookings, SD 57007
Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu