Re: [Phys-l] A geek's observations on "Avatar"

John Clement wrote:
It is amazing how people will be concerned about touching something, while at the same time eating food dropped on the floor. An MD told me that patients prefer blood from relatives, but it is usually not as safe as the blood from the blood bank. /snip/
John M. Clement, 3-D photographer since the 50s
Houston, TX
Even here, the pendulum swings in the matter of antisepsis.
I recently listened to a medical researcher who was astounded to note the difference in disease rates as between city and country kids - in serious issues
like asthma and allergies.

It became clear to him that kids with more contact with dirt, and
consequentially with juvenile gastro-intestinal disturbances,
enjoyed very significant health advantages in adult life.
Amusing to hear him mention that when his kid drops food on the floor,
he no longer frustrates the desire to pick it up and swallow it.
A modern version of Mom's five-second rule? :-)

Brian W