Re: non-rectangular div/grad/curl (was: another math question)

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Gary Karshner wrote:

Mike,
As an astronomy student I remember getting confused because
astronomer use the math. way and measure the angle not from the z axis but
the xy plane. The reason is that is the way latitude or declination is
defined. As a student I neatly compartmentalized the equations in question
when I was in class, but when I had to reconstruct them later. I got very
confused until I realized what was going on.

Gary

Of course any group can define the angles according to the
symbology they prefer. In 20 years of teaching E&M this was the first case
I came across of student confusion in this. I guess I've been lucky.

Mike Monce