Re: Fortran? Why No!

Oops, a typo. I meant to say "I would NOT teach them Fortran".

AT

At 11:45 AM 6/12/2002 -0400, you wrote:
If I were creating an academic program for a physics major, I would teach
them Fortran. I would probably teach them something like C++ or Java. I
hear that Fortran is very useful for numerical algorithms on supercomputers
(and parallel computing); however, a physics major is more likely to get a
job with a B.S. degree if they have experience in C++ or Java rather than
Fortran. In my opinion, it's about making students employable, and Fortran
does not do that as well.

Of course, if you can program in one language, you can adapt to others. I
do think students should learn object-oriented programming though.

AT

At 11:36 AM 6/12/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>"Floyd J. James" message ended with this:
>
> > FORTRAN is not the answer; FORTRAN
> > is the question. The answer is "No!"
>
>I would like to know why? In my opinion, Fortan,
>or a similar language, like True Basic, is a very
>useful tool. It offers us a possibility of writing
>formulas in nearly the same way we write them
>by hand. What aspects of Fortran are not desirable?
>Ludwik Kowalski

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dr. Aaron Titus
Department of Physics