Re: non-rectangular div/grad/curl (was: another math question)

Mike,
As an astronomy student I remember getting confused because
astronomer use the math. way and measure the angle not from the z axis but
the xy plane. The reason is that is the way latitude or declination is
defined. As a student I neatly compartmentalized the equations in question
when I was in class, but when I had to reconstruct them later. I got very
confused until I realized what was going on.

Gary

I just ran into an interesting problem with this. the students
messed up two problems because their calc. course reversed the
definitions of theta and phi in spherical coordinates (I always thought
physics, and everyone else had theta from the z-axis, and phi as the
azimuthal angle). They even showed me their calc. text with the angles
reversed. Sheesh...things you wouldn't even expect when teaching :)

Mike Monce
Connecticut College