Re: non-rectangular div/grad/curl (was: another math question)

Depends on the course: for Jr level E&M it is absolutely
essential.

I just ran into an interesting problem with this. the students
messed up two problems because their calc. course reversed the
definitions of theta and phi in spherical coordinates (I always thought
physics, and everyone else had theta from the z-axis, and phi as the
azimuthal angle). They even showed me their calc. text with the angles
reversed. Sheesh...things you wouldn't even expect when teaching :)

Mike Monce
Connecticut College

I would not be so hard on the math people.
It is interesting to start with polar coordinates (r, theta), This is generally
assumed to be the x-y plane, and there are transformations from (r, theta)
to (x,y). Go from there to cylindrical coordinates (polar coordinates + z), and
then spherical coordinates (r and two angles),
Where (or if) does theta change its definition? Why is it changed?

--
________

FORTRAN is not the answer; FORTRAN is the question. The answer is "No!"
________

Floyd James North Carolina A & T State University
fjames@unicorn.ncat.edu