Re: [Phys-L] let's define energy

Ok... transferred. It's an easy enough word to use for 11th graders (lower level classes).

On Sep 29, 2015, at 5:00 PM, John Denker wrote:

On 09/29/2015 01:09 PM, Marty Weiss wrote:
I meant "lost" in the sense that it is no longer useful to do
something. Why does the car stop? The energy is "lost" to heat,
etc. Students can understand conservation but they need something
concrete to be able to say why the car stopped. Thus I use "lost" in
quotes to indicate the energy is not useful.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but still I suggest
that "lost" is not the optimal description. Usually
"transferred" is better.

It pays to be somewhat sensitive, because in another
part of this thread, we have Vokos and Scherr explicitly
talking about "energy degradation and usefulness". Ick.
http://spu.edu/depts/physics/documents/Daane.PhysRevSTPER.10.pdf