Re: [Phys-L] Stubborn brain habits

The right left problem comes out when newcomers try to follow dances. They
look across the circle and mirror, which puts them on the wrong foot every
time. Experienced dancers transpose, but it is harder. Being experienced
with transposing I transpose so when I talk about something facing the
students I point to my left when I am saying right.

As to tying ties, one can learn to do it easily by feel. I can tie a quite
neat bowtie without looking at it. Of course it is just like tying your
shoes, but being able to visulize without seeing it can be learned.

Here is a difficult thing to do:
Rotate one hand in a circle toward you and away. Then try to rotate the
other one in the opposite direction.
If you master that one try doing it at different speeds. Doing both in the
same direction at the same speed is trivially easy.

A friend pointed out that many people can not easily drum their fingers from
one end to the other, but anyone who learns piano finds it trivial.

Then some dyslexics may need differen color shoe laces to tell left from
right.

As to the backwards bicycle, anyone who can mount and ride a bike with hands
off the handle bars would have no difficulty. Unicyclists may be able to do
this.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX