[Phys-L] Conservation of Energy vs Constant Energy

Hello.
I am in an awkward spot. I am trying to convince a group of hs physics teachers that energy is always conserved. Regardless of open or closed systems.
E(total initial) + W + Q = E (total final)
They accept this as the first law of thermo without question. I point out that the gas (or the piston depending on your view) is the system and other items either do W or Q to the system.

They do not seem to accept this as a statement of conservation of energy where W & Q are ways for energy to transfer into or out of an open system.
They insist energy is constant (which they equate to conserved) for closed systems.

Good lord.
How do I convince them that energy is conserved regardless of an open or closed system?
Do folks have authoritative resources I can point to?

Thanks for your help.

Paul.