Re: [Phys-L] Conservation of Energy vs Constant Energy

On 05/04/2015 11:03 AM, Paul Lulai wrote:

I almost referenced that same section of Feynman. However, he
mentions that there is a number and that number doesn't change.

Well, for an open system, that number DOES change. I fear
referencing Feynman will, in their minds, reinforce constancy.

That's true, and that's an issue ... but perhaps we can
finesse the issue as follows: The business of "constant"
versus "conserved" isn't the right starting point.

*LOCALITY* is the crux.

Start with locality. Feynman correctly makes a big fuss about
locality. A conservation law that's not local is basically
useless ... and also inconsistent with special relativity.

Once you get that point across, you can spiral back around
and attack the open/closed issue again. Constancy serves
as a proxy for conservation in closed systems only. If you
have an open system, you can define a new closed system
by enlarging your definition of "the" system ... but now
you have sacrificed locality, which is fatal.

From this we conclude that the only way to get do the
whole job properly is to define a notion of conservation
that works for small, open systems.

*Energy is conserved right here, right now.*

Modeling physics addresses this, however, the group claims modeling
physics is one of the sources of this incorrect and non-useful
physics.

The PER literature is a veritable cornucopia of wrong
physics ideas, and there is nothing you can do about it.
This is why asking for an "authoritative" source is a
terrible practice. The bad guys can always find an
"authoritative" source for whatever nonsense they are
peddling.
https://www.av8n.com/physics/authority.htm

If you want some real-world examples of people applying
conservation ideas to open systems, look in any work
on fluid dynamics, relativity, or (gasp) relativistic
fluid dynamics.
Misner/Thorne/Wheeler is a fine example, something
you might have on your shelf already (or really ought
to get anyway). The book looks impressive and
"authoritative", good for intimidating the peanut
gallery ... but really I am recommending it for its
content, not its looks.