Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 07/10/2012 05:36 AM, Richard Tarara wrote:
Public education was established for the welfare of the SOCIETY--not the individual or the parents.

Yes! Thank you!

This point needs to be continually emphasized.

There is a powerful minority that seems to argue that there is no
such thing as a community and no such thing as a public good ...
but we cannot concede this argument. We must eternally and vigorously
refute this argument. Even 50-year-old people who have no children
in school should consider school taxes a very very good investment.
The short version of one part of the argument is that without a good
education system, the services those people plan on buying will not
be available at any price. Survivalists can (sorta) stockpile food,
but they cannot stockpile services.

As another argument leading to the same conclusion, it is remarkable
how many "values voters" do not include Matthew 25:34-46 among their
"values"
http://bible.oremus.org/?passage=Matthew+25:34-46

As a very very slight nitpick, I might have said "not /just/ for the
individual or the parents." Clearly the individual benefits also.
The non-nitpicky point remains: we agree that the tail (private
benefit) should not be allowed to wag the dog (public good).