Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

That is a misnomer... the lottery is composed of those students whose parents were interested enough to enter the lottery in the first place. Of those, the retention is selective to those who obey the rules. They have kicked out students who disobey or whose parents do not attend meetings and conferences. Then they go back to the lottery non-winners to choose the next one.

On Jul 9, 2012, at 3:56 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-
l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 1:04 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 07/09/2012 06:47 AM, Jeff Bigler wrote:

As I occasionally say to my students, "Where's That From?"--acronym
intended.

ROTFL here. That's a keeper.

I'm finding that,
compared with the charter school, my public-school students ........

I realize it is conventional to speak of charter schools as being disjoint from
the public schools, but one could argue for the following taxonomy
instead:

schools
/ \
/ \
/ \
publicly private
funded & \
tested \
/ \ \
/ \ \
/ \ \
district charter truly
public public private
schools schools schools

(see also below)

As always, I don't want to argue about the terminology, and I would be
delighted if somebody could suggest some better terminology, but the
underlying point remains: I find it helpful to distinguish charter schools from
_district_ schools (rather than from "public" schools).
*) In some ways, the charter schools are unlike the district schools,
for instance in having more selective admissions and selective
retention. This is an important distinction; however ...

[LaMontagne, Bob]
Depends where you live. Our charter schools in RI admit students by lottery.