Re: [Phys-l] Trebuchets, bridges, egg drops, and cardboard boats.

In high school I do a rubber band powered car project in the fall.
Students are given two rubber bands and have to make a "car" out of
household junk go as far as possible. There are rules that all must follow
regarding materials, etc. Kids have to think outside the box to make their
car move far.

Second term we do bridge building. Always exciting to watch them destruct!

Third term we go the the amusement park -- the ultimate physics lab!

Most kids enjoy the projects, but there are some who are not good working
with their hands or see no relevance to the topics we're studying. Often
the "smartest" students are not the best when it comes to projects.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
I had a few students who used a physics 'simulation' program to help
them design a trebuchet that worked quite well.

I considered it a worthwhile use of their time and skills.
.