Re: [Phys-l] cars and physics

Regarding:

I'm suspicious of this answer. You might be able to save some
money on wire, but you just doubled the number of cells in the
battery. In 1953, could you really save enough money on
smaller-sized wire to compensate for the increased cost of the
battery? True, each cell in the 12-volt battery could be smaller
than each cell in the 6-volt battery, but it's easier to make wire
than it is to make batteries. It seems to me the 12-volt battery
would cost more than the 6-volt battery even if it didn't use much
more material, and I don't think wire was very expensive back then.
They were still making pennies from copper back then.

I'm not saying there is no way this is the right answer, but I will
remain suspicious until I see more data.

Michael D. Edmiston, PhD.

I certainly don't know anything about the relative economics of wire and lead-acid battery production, so I can't comment on ME's suspicions.

However, another potential advantage of a 12V system over a similar power 6V system suggests itself. I would expect the reliability of a 12 V system to be better than a 6V system for comparable quality terminal connections, and would expect the wiring terminal connections for comparable reliability between 12V & 6V would be cheaper to make for a 12 V system. This is because all the connections in the 6V system would draw twice the current through them as the corresponding 12 V connections. This would mean that the 6V system would be more vulnerable to ohmic losses in the terminal connections than the 12 V connections. I would expect that a 12 V system could tolerate looser and more corroded connections before failure than the corresponding connections in a 6 V system. This might make a significant difference in the harsh under-hood environment that such terminal connections typically find themselves in. Prevention of premature failure in the 6 V system would require more rugged, corrosion resistant, and heavier duty connections than the 12 V system would need for comparable reliability. The connections most vulnerable to corrosion and exposed to the highest currents are the battery terminal and starter connections. So I would, therefore, expect that the 6 V system would need better (i.e. more expensive) maintenance of those connections than the 12 V system.

David Bowman