From: "brian whatcott" <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 11:42 PM
To: <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] cars and physics

Oren's question triggered a train of posts which focused on the
capacitor, rather than on the
time constant of the L/R path of the old-time ignition coil.
The following folksy enthusiast note carries a couple of scope traces,
and allows one to visualize the time constant of a normal 12 volt coil
at < 1.5 millisec, and a typical winding resistance of 3 ohm at the
primary and a turns ratio of 1:100 which transforms the primary voltage
across the capacitor of 300 volts to 30 kv for the initial strike of the
plug. Elsewhere, the writer notes an intially negative voltage at the
hot electrode provides a somewhat easier strike.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig108.htm

The coil schematic shown was all but universal to coil ignitions without
ballast resistor.

Brian W