Re: [Phys-l] cars and physics

On 2011, Feb 22, , at 07:36, John Denker wrote:

You should think twice before letting students observe the system
as a lab exercise, because of the possibility of blowing the front
end off the oscilloscope. There are lots of ways of protecting
against this, but I don't at the moment see how to prevent students
from bypassing the protection

The kinescope analyzer at auto shops (ca. fifties) used the primary as a means of diagnosis -- supposedly the primary mimics what going on w/the secondary.

My ancient story:

VW bugs had the prob. of insufficient EMF to operate the ignition and the starter. So I ran a heavy wire directly from the + (neg. gnd.) to the ignition switch, which cured that prob. My mechanic (German, of course) said many VW owners would install a 12 V batt. and just change the headlamps. They would start immediately! He didn't say anything about adding a ballast or changing the coil.

** Curiously one of the few English words, especially since the invention was by Kettering an American. A suburb of Dayton is named after him.