[Phys-l] Faith in science and/or psychology

It is not unusual (we've certainly been doing it on this list) to use 'religious' rhetoric to describe pedagogical movements. This is often done in a disparaging way (intentionally or not). I think that this tendency arises from the the way certain people, after rediscovering a teaching method from a hundred or two thousand years ago, now see its modern adaptation as the 'best' method of all times--if you will, 'the one true way'. Now this has been defended because of the 'research' results--thus no faith is involved. Or is there? One can even 'require' that physical science is based on faith--faith that we can actually observe and measure reality or that human logic actually produces meaningful results. Most of us basically brush that aside saying something like 'well if we don't accept observation and logic' then it is impossible to even try and understand the world around us. Others (certain oriental religions and philosophies) might argue even that point. When it comes to accepting psychological experimentation and results (basically educational research), the 'leap of faith' is, IMO, a bit broader. The plethora of variables and the possibilities of 'rigging' the experiments (unconsciously in most cases) makes things a little less clear. Using a single study here or there to 'prove' a point doesn't work well for me. Ultimately, the only real 'proof' is the end product--the people coming out of the 'new' pedagogy pipeline--and there the results are still pretty fuzzy, I think. Locally (Chemistry sections of the same course taught both using inquiry and not) aren't showing clear patterns downstream. So, it is still not surprising that course and techniques designed to attack a given topic, a given misconception, to score higher on the FCI, or whatever, show positive results. That these courses prove to produce better scientists, engineers, doctors, or just plain citizens upon graduation, is less clear. If PER is working its way through the ranks of HS teachers, I don't think many of us at the College level have yet to see the benefits in many (if any) or our students. Measuring the results from new College courses is even more difficult.

The message being broadcast by some, is a 'my way or the highway' message that seems too over the top. If nothing else, that message has the effect of disparaging the efforts of many of us over our many years of work. Don't be surprised then, that the rhetoric fails to make many friends. ;-)

Rick [Who suggests toning the message down to--this method or that method appears to be really valuable in addressing this type of understanding or that needed skill. Why not try it out?]

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN