Re: [Phys-l] index of refraction

It would be very close to water because it is not a very concentrated
solution. Similarly many other household chemicals such as vinegar are
solutions with mainly water.

The advice about the problems with bleach is very good. Soda might be
difficult because the bubbles will disrupt the light. You could have the
students make saturated solutions of salt or sugar. I suspect the index
will also be very close to that of water.

Of course one must ask what is the purpose of the lab, and what are students
learning from the lab. Verification labs do not really help students much.
They are mainly practice. What can be discovered from this lab? Guided
inquiry labs have been shown to improve student cognition, and the retention
of concepts.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

The odors from bleech are quite strong and may affect some students. I
would not use it. Also, if it
spills on clothing, it may damage it. However, if you want to know the
index, measure it and don't rely
on online tables.