Re: [Phys-l] index of refraction

Another interesting and random twist is to use a hair from one of the students in the group. Do a regular double slit or diffraction grating setup first to demonstrate interference, then ask them to find the width of a human hair. The challenge is to get them to figure out that putting the hair in the laser beam produces a diffraction pattern (the "antislit") and they can try using the same formula to figure calculate the spacing (hair width). Since there isn't a right answer to the actual value they have to determine if the answer is reasonable.

Bill N
Union University

"Paul Lulai" <plulai@stanthony.k12.mn.us> 5/12/2009 11:20 pm >>>
Will they hold the book value n of vinegar as "holy writ" after we've shown that the book value for g is incorrect for our location?

I was ready to tell you that students have already googled dvd & cd 'groove' spacings. You're nylon idea is nice. I attempt to make many labs problem solving labs. Many of the U of MN general physics labs are conducted in this way. I like the approach. I am not sure how I would incorporate this into the fabric or painted slides. The fabric is interesting. I've never enjoyed getting a set of slides or construction paper with a pair of evenly spaced slits. The precious clock intervenes and I am forced to go with what is convenient.