Re: [Phys-l] index of refraction

Will they hold the book value n of vinegar as "holy writ" after we've shown that the book value for g is incorrect for our location?

I was ready to tell you that students have already googled dvd & cd 'groove' spacings. You're nylon idea is nice. I attempt to make many labs problem solving labs. Many of the U of MN general physics labs are conducted in this way. I like the approach. I am not sure how I would incorporate this into the fabric or painted slides. The fabric is interesting. I've never enjoyed getting a set of slides or construction paper with a pair of evenly spaced slits. The precious clock intervenes and I am forced to go with what is convenient.

One experiment that I like that connects macroscopic measurements
with microscopic ones uses the nylon cloth as a starting point. They
measure the thread spacing of the cloth by counting the threads in a
distance large compared to the spot size of a laser beam. Then they
use that spacing to measure the wavelength of the laser, and then use
the wavelength thus measured to measure the groove spacing on a CD or
DVD. It provides a direct connection between something that they can
measure directly by eye and something that they cannot see at all.

Doesn't finding the wavelength of the laser go against your earlier comments?

I understand your point regarding percent difference. I do believe it is valuable in some instances. I understand your contention that students will attempt to get the book/internet value. However, I believe there are valuable instances where I can use a % difference calculation to get students to question not only their own procedural issues, but the conceptual underpinnings of the measurement. Why would the book value for n-bleach be different than ours? Under what circumstances is this acceptable?

All of this said, I feel like I am arguing two points under one mask.
1- Percent Difference - I don't hold to this arguement with great vigor (or frequency). I occasionally use this to compare values from different groups. Occasionally for things like coefficient of friction values. I prefer to collect data and plot it out. Lod are ok having a different u for their wood/concrete interaction that the book. That is not 'holy writ' in their minds. They understand different types and finishes of wood and concrete. See if we get a y=mx+b style plot or something else. What can we get from the mathematical model? What do the m and b values represent? How about area under the curve?

2- Lab types. As Hugh himself states (or implies with his dvd - laser - fiber lab), it is possible to take a lab that has a verification flavor, but turn it on its side a bit and get a decent lab. Rick makes a similar claim with pendulums. When we are done with Rick's pendulum lab, we have a mathematical model that is the same (hopefully) as the accepted model for the period of a pendulum. That isn't a verification lab. I wouldn't claim using Young's Double slit lab to find the slit spacing of a dvd, cd, nylon, razor blade, or other item to necessarily be a verification lab.

Paul Lulai (apologizes for a terribly inefficient use of text)
Physics Teacher
US First Robotics Teacher
..:: Medtronic - St Anthony RoboHuskie 2574 ::..
Science Olympiad Coach
3303 33rd Ave NE
St. Anthony Village Senior High
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418