Re: [Phys-l] Conservation of energy in nuclear reactions

On Friday, May 01, 2009 11:54 AM, John Denker wrote:

Part of the energy is mc^2. We call this the _rest energy_.
I suppose you could define potential energy to be equal to
the rest energy, but not everybody does. Also there are
issues with the gauge-dependence of typical notions of
potential energy.

OK

Let's be clear: The equation E=mc^2 applies in the rest
frame of the particle. This is Einstein's original meaning
of the equation, and also the meaning that has been
conventional among those who do relativity for a living, and
has been for several decades that I know of. (I am aware
that from time to time there have been attempts to define
some notion of "relativistic mass", but this is a Bad
Idea./2/) Mass (m) means rest mass, so it is redundant but
harmless to call it "rest" mass.

Agreed.

Bottom line: Energy is conserved. Period. There are no
known exceptions. Of course to make this work you need to
include all forms of energy, including the rest energy mc^2.

Still, the question is whether this form of energy is *in addition to*
the energies we considered previously (like the gravitational energy or
whatever) or *instead of*. That is what I am confused about and how I
could simply explain this to non-scientists.

Consider an astronaut dropping a rock on the moon. While the rock is
falling, how does the kinetic energy of the moon/rock/astronaut change?
How does the rest energy of the moon/rock/astronaut change? Are there
any other forms of energy that are changing?

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@po-box.esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq