Re: [Phys-l] Conservation of energy in nuclear reactions

On 05/01/2009 08:20 AM, Robert Cohen wrote:
I periodically encounter a source that states that energy is conserved
except during nuclear reactions.

Yecchhhhh.

It is my understanding that energy is always conserved, even in nuclear
reactions.

Yes.

The mass-energy equivalence is really between the
"potential" energy and the mass, so it is the *kinetic* energy that is
not conserved during nuclear reactions, not the *total* energy.

I'm not sure I would have said it quite that way.

Energy is energy (E).

Mass is mass (m)./1/

Part of the energy is mc^2. We call this the _rest energy_.
I suppose you could define potential energy to be equal to the
rest energy, but not everybody does. Also there are issues
with the gauge-dependence of typical notions of potential energy.

Let's be clear: The equation E=mc^2 applies in the rest frame
of the particle. This is Einstein's original meaning of the
equation, and also the meaning that has been conventional among
those who do relativity for a living, and has been for several
decades that I know of. (I am aware that from time to time there
have been attempts to define some notion of "relativistic mass",
but this is a Bad Idea./2/) Mass (m) means rest mass, so it is
redundant but harmless to call it "rest" mass.

Bottom line: Energy is conserved. Period. There are no known
exceptions. Of course to make this work you need to include all
forms of energy, including the rest energy mc^2.

1. http://www.av8n.com/physics/mass.htm

2. http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime-acceleration.htm