Re: [Phys-l] Conservation of energy in nuclear reactions

In a message dated 5/1/2009 11:56:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jsd@av8n.com
writes:

On 05/01/2009 08:20 AM, Robert Cohen wrote:
I periodically encounter a source that states that energy is conserved
except during nuclear reactions.

Yecchhhhh.

It is my understanding that energy is always conserved, even in nuclear
reactions.

Yes.

The mass-energy equivalence is really between the
"potential" energy and the mass, so it is the *kinetic* energy that is
not conserved during nuclear reactions, not the *total* energy.

I'm not sure I would have said it quite that way.

Energy is energy (E).

Mass is mass (m)./1/

Part of the energy is mc^2. We call this the _rest energy_.
I suppose you could define potential energy to be equal to the
rest energy, but not everybody does. Also there are issues
with the gauge-dependence of typical notions of potential energy.

Let's be clear: The equation E=mc^2 applies in the rest frame
of the particle. This is Einstein's original meaning of the
equation, and also the meaning that has been conventional among
those who do relativity for a living, and has been for several
decades that I know of. (I am aware that from time to time there
have been attempts to define some notion of "relativistic mass",
but this is a Bad Idea./2/) Mass (m) means rest mass, so it is
redundant but harmless to call it "rest" mass.

Bottom line: Energy is conserved. Period. There are no known
exceptions. Of course to make this work you need to include all
forms of energy, including the rest energy mc^2.

1. http://www.av8n.com/physics/mass.htm

2. http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime-acceleration.htm

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Of course the general equation is

E=gamma*m*c^2

Where gamma is the Lorentz factor

gamma= 1/sqrt[-b^2]

BTW over 98% of the "mass" of the stuff that makes up that part of the
Universe we can see is really color force potential energy, what Wheeler
called "mass without mass." Next time you stand on the scale to measure the
force generated by your mass and the mass of the earth, etc., keep that in
mind.

Bob Zannelli
web. Get the Radio Toolbar!