[Phys-l] Master Violin Materials

**There has been some discussion of late about the wood used to make violins by the Italian Masters. One suggestion I ran across, concerned the use of waterlogged wood
[for some reason which I forget...]

Today, I ran into this blind trial of another wood treatment - as relayed from a paragraph in "World Science":

Fran­cis Schwar­ze of EMPA, the Swiss Fed­er­al Lab­o­r­a­to­ries for Ma­te­ri­als Test­ing and Re­search, de­vel­oped the new vi­o­lin by treat­ing it with spe­cially se­lected fun­gus, which he says im­proves the sound qual­ity by mak­ing the wood light­er and more un­iform.

In the test, the Brit­ish star vi­o­linist Mat­thew Trus­ler played five dif­fer­ent in­stru­ments be­hind a cur­tain, so that the au­di­ence did­n’t know which was be­ing played. One of the vi­o­lins Trusler played was his own “Strad,” or in­stru­ment made by the most sto­ried vi­o­lin mak­er of his­to­ry, An­to­nio Strad­i­vari, in Ita­ly in the 18th cen­tury.

The oth­er four were all made by Swiss vi­o­lin mak­er Mi­chael Rhon­heim­er—two with Schwar­ze’s fun­gally-treated wood, the oth­er two with un­treated wood.

A ju­ry of ex­perts, to­geth­er with the con­fer­ence par­ti­ci­pants, judged the tone qual­ity of the vi­o­lins. Of the more than 180 at­ten­dees, al­most half, or 90, felt the tone of a fun­gally treated vi­o­lin dubbed “Opus 58” the best. The Strad reached sec­ond place with 39 votes, but 113 mem­bers of the au­di­ence thought that “Opus 58” was ac­tu­ally the Strad.

“O­pus 58” was the one made from wood that had been treated with fun­gus for the longest time, nine months, Schwar­ze said.

/snip/ Schwar­ze claims the mas­ter re­ceived in­ad­vert­ent help from a “Lit­tle Ice Age” which oc­curred from 1645 to 1715. Dur­ing this pe­ri­od Cen­tral Eu­rope suf­fered long win­ters and cool sum­mers which caused trees to grow slowly and un­iformly – cre­at­ing ide­al con­di­tions for the fun­gus to at­tack.

For the new vi­o­lins, Schwar­ze uses Nor­we­gian spruce wood treated with the fun­gus / Physi­por­i­nus vit­rius/ and syc­a­more treated with / Xy­laria lon­gipes/. /snip/ "

*****

I wonder if strains of such fungi can be obtained commercially?

Brian W

**