Re: [Phys-l] Master Violin Materials

This is not really new work. A biochemist retired from Texas A&M University, Joseph Nagyvary has been publishing work about violins since about 1978. He also makes and sells violins that are mistaken for and sometimes believed better than the "Italian Masters."

His website is:

http://www.nagyvaryviolins.com/

One of his early discoveries was that the pit-hole membranes in the wood of the old violins are missing. His idea was that the water-logged wood in Venice subjected the wood to bacteria or fungi that "ate" these membranes. No doubt the fungi used by Fran­cis Schwar­ze is doing the same type of thing to the wood.

But Nagyvary has shown there is more to it than this. There appears to have been other chemical treatment of the wood by the "Italian masters," and they also had special varnishes. But Nagyvary does not believe all this was special knowledge of the "Italian masters" because this was just the way things were done in Venice and Cremona at that time. So the master were not really masters at all, they were just regular violin makers who were lucky to use wood that was processed in the regular ways of the times, and the varnishes were the regular varnishes of the times.

By duplicating the wood and varnishes, Nagyvary has been making violins for many years that have fooled people into thinking they were Strads or Guarneri's, etc.

PBS ran a NOVA program called "What is Music." Nagyvary's violin work was featured on this show, as well as other interesting segments, many of which describe the physics of music. I use the show when I reach the sound portion of my general physics class.

What Is Music?
NOVA explores the science of musical sound—from what makes a classic violin to how the human brain perceives music. Bells, trumpets, human voices and computers all perform.
Original broadcast date: 11/21/89
Topic: social sciences/miscellaneous

Unfortunately this does not appear to be available anymore from WGBH.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive