[Phys-l] Master Violin Materials - Erratum

A taxonomist [Kay Lancaster] was able to point out the typo in the "World Science" piece that I quoted:
For / Physi­por­i­nus vit­rius/, read / Physis­por­i­nus vit­reus/.
This will reveal its membership in fungus catalogs such as that held by USDA.

Brian W

A paragraph in "World Science" caught my eye:

Fran­cis Schwar­ze of EMPA, the Swiss Fed­er­al Lab­o­r­a­to­ries for Ma­te­ri­als Test­ing and Re­search, de­vel­oped a new vi­o­lin by treat­ing it with spe­cially se­lected fun­gus...
For the new vi­o­lins, Schwar­ze uses Nor­we­gian spruce wood treated with the fun­gus / Physi­por­i­nus vit­rius/ and syc­a­more treated with / Xy­laria lon­gipes/. /snip/ "

*****