Re: [Phys-l] innumeracy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Cohen" <Robert.Cohen@po-box.esu.edu>

I'd be more concerned with the ratios than the actual numbers (although
800,000 for the US population seems a tad bit off the mark, even for
me). In particular, ten answers had ratios of ten or less. Do they
really think the US population is that large compared to the world
population?? Not recognizing the ratio seems to me a bigger problem.

Ah--but there is the (IMO) number one math deficiency we see--the lack of understanding of ratios and the lack of ability then to do anything useful that involves ratios. Even my Calc level class does miserably if I challenge them with algebraic ratios. [Example--setup that a car can make a given radius turn at a given speed. Now ask at what speed can they do half the radius, at what speed can they turn in the road becomes wet and the coefficient of friction is functionally halved, at what minimum radius can they turn at twice the speed, etc.]

More math problems--5/26 people in my class today could not tell me correctly how many people the U.S. (currently at 300 million) would have 140 years from now if the growth rate remained constant at a doubling time of 70 years . To be fair ;-) they weren't allowed to use calculators and the wrong answers (900 million or 1.8 billion) are sort of understandable (I have to start thinking--or not thinking--like them.) ;-(

Rick