Re: [Phys-l] Invariant mass and relativist mass...

At 11:55 AM -0500 2/26/08, Rick Tarara wrote:

First--I'd like to hear from _anybody_ teaching HS or general education
physics who approaches special relativity from JD's point of view (4D
geometry). How does it work?

For years I taught from the invariant mass POV, although I didn't use 4-vectors, since the students I taught were not yet literate in trigonometry, so I limited myself to one-dimensional physics for the most part. I found that it created fewer problems to consider mass as an invariant. After all, we consider charge as an invariant and no one has any problems with that. And I had already spent some time emphasizing that mass and charge were properties of matter that has no definitions beyond the operational ones that related them to how they reacted to certain forces. I think that this approach worked with my students, although I did not undertake any formal research to verify this.

Second--the paradoxes are the 'fun' part of this material--at least for the
students named above.

I agree with this. The paradoxes emphasized the differences that exist between newtonian and relativistic physics. In fact I started my introduction to relativity with a paradox related to simultaneity, and how, in order to keep things that we see as important in describing nature invariant, we had to abandon the ideas of absolute time and space and also simultaneity. It was a struggle for the students, but they ultimately came to understand that the process was not that much different from the Galilean approach, once they understood the significance of the postulate about the speed of light being the same in all inertial reference frames.

Third--the primary point one is usually making with these students is that
the phenomenon of high speed motion deviates from the Newtonian model that
they've been working on and thus requires a different model.

Right, and the difference arises from the speed of light postulate, which, although it wasn't Einstein's approach, makes the explanation of the Michelson-Morely experiment straightforward. I also argued non-mathematically, that the appearance of the speed of light in the standard statement of Maxwell's Equations makes the light postulate pretty logical, since it doesn't make much sense to have a universal constant that will be different for different inertial observers.

What they will
immediately 'demand' is proof that indeed the 'phenomenon' exist.
Experiments with atomic clocks and the lifetime of muons are offered as
direct verification of problems with clocks while the twin paradox is the
seminal example of the ultimate consequences of 'time dilation'. One can
then turn to particle accelerator work (was a PSSC film on this as well as
the muons) that measures velocity and momentum of particles moving very
fast. The experiments clearly show that momentum rises must faster than
velocity at high velocity. For the student group in question--comparing
this to their ideas of momentum (p = mv) the conclusion _has_ to be that
mass has increases. So I am totally unconvinced that the approach which is
best for a Modern Physics Course for physics majors is the approach one
should take (or even can take) with HS and non-science students. 3-D
geometry is a mystery to most and a 1/R^2 dependency is as difficult to
fathom as Jackson's E&M was to most of us.

I didn't find my students "demanding" experimental verification of the counterintuitive results of relativity, but I pressed such verifications on them anyway, to attempt to further instill the idea that they need to demand such verifications for any idea, but especially for scientific ideas. Hopefully, by the time they got to college, they were prepared to ask the hard questions about meaning and verification of their professors. I suspect that the science professors mostly welcomed such questions and some of the non-science professors were less than enthusiastic about such questions.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar