Re: [Phys-l] Invariant mass and relativist mass...

Hi,

Alphonsus wrote:

"Recently, I have purchased some textbooks written for IB Diploma such as K.A. Tsokos or Tom Kirk, also adopt relativistic mass."

The new syllabus does not explicitly mention relativistic mass anymore whereas the old syllabus specifically required it. On the other hand, the syllabus statements are framed in a way that leaves this issue a bit open. It remains to be seen if relativistic mass appears in the future exams. I hope not.

I had a conversation on relativistic mass with Tsokos years ago and he expressed his dislike toward it (well, he has a PhD in particle physics). The only reason he "adopted" it in his textbook was the syllabus requirement.

-----

BTW, Alphonsus provided quite a list of eminent people referring to relativistic mass. It seems, however, that many of the Nobel laureates used it in their non-technical, popular books on physics.
Perhaps they do not use it in their "real" work?

Best wishes,

Antti

Antti Savinainen, Ph.D., B.Ed.
Senior Lecturer in Physics and Mathematics
Kuopio Lyseo High School
Finland
E-mail: <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi>
Website: <http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/savant/>

Tämä viesti on tarkoitettu ainoastaan henkilölle tai yhteisölle, jolle se on osoitettu.
Viesti saattaa sisältää luottamuksellista tietoa. Jos olet saanut viestin erehdyksessä,
ilmoita siitä lähettäjälle ja tuhoa viesti postilaatikostasi

Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostisuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.
Tarkastuksesta huolimatta noudata asianmukaista varovaisuutta liitteitä avatessasi.

Kuopion kaupunki / ATK-keskus