Re: [Phys-l] Invariant mass and relativist mass...

Quoting Savinainen Antti <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi>:

BTW, Alphonsus provided quite a list of eminent people referring to relativistic mass. It seems, however, that many of the Nobel laureates used it in their non-technical, popular books on physics.
Perhaps they do not use it in their "real" work?

In their "real" work, they are usually in other "contexts" instead of SR, so one should not jump into conclusion... By the way, mass do not have the same meaning in many fields in physics. Neither should we restrict Chemist's usage of mass...

Interestingly, the concept of "relativistic mass" was also debated in Chemistry.
In Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 82 No. 11 November 2005, Richard S. Treptow proposed that, "Mass is always conserved if we take into account both
the reacting system and its surroundings." This suggests the concept of relativistic mass, and it may gain popularity within Chemistry too.

Alphonsus