Re: [Phys-l] Another alternative theory horror

The phrase *Better suited * plays no role in the course of evolutionary development. Traits do not develop so the organism can become *better suited*, rather, traits mutate from other traits and if the trait makes the organism better suited for the niche it fills in the environment, well, that's just fine. If the mutated trait doesn't allow a better fit into the niche the organism will die off (worst case) or be no more better suited than before (neutral case). Mutations are adaptations: good, bad, or neutral. Nature doesn't sit there and say, "Well, let's see if this buffalo can run through the brush better if his horns are shorter." It just works out that way. The shorter horned buffalos live longer and can reproduce. The other ones die off quicker and don't get to mate.
The moths on the trees in industrial England were either dark to fit into the sooty deposits on the trees or light colored and were eaten by the birds. And, by the way, this classic example was at one time thought to be false and held up by crerationists as an example of something that shows the falsehood of evolution. However, the moth story is now found to be historically true afterall and is again used in evolutionary theory as an example of adaptation.
By the way, MRSA, Ebola (trans-species migration of traits), and other adaptations, micro or macro, happen to the particular organism and really have nothing to do with us (Homo Sapiens). We just happen to be at the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time. Nature couldn't care less what happens to us, just as in the long run, we adapt either for better or for worse. In a perverse way Planet of the Apes is true.... Australopithicus, Homo habilis, Homo erectus, Neanderthal, Cro-Magnon... ?? who's next? Homo computerictus (small weak arms, heavily padded fingertips, squinty eyes, large frontal cortex, little feet, diabetic, hamburger/ pizza guzzling, semi- illiterate. ) (I believe something similar to that was done once on Twlight Zone way before the advent of the computer.)

Have a good evening and make sure you go to your favorite gym a few times a week... and read a book (the thing made of paper with real printed words... you all remember that, don't you?)

Marty

from Zeke and Brian:

Interesting note.
I hesitate to read the word 'better' used to describe some result of evolution. Like sickle
-cell anemia is better? In other words, 'better' is a mild variant of the argument from
teleology (i.e purposeful change); though 'better suited' is your sentiment, I expect.

About those feet pads that draw out the subcutaneous zits: they show the pads going dark,
until the zits are all expunged. How much more of an observational model could you want? :-)