Re: [Phys-l] Intelligent designists fight back

Several of the contributions in this thread are true and
useful, and I don't want to comment on what was said, but
rather to point out some crucial points that have mostly
been left unsaid, or at best underemphasized.

To keep things in perspective, before we analyze small
correction terms, we should make sure we have adequately
accounted for the huge zeroth-order terms.

A) The first reason why some people advocate ID is *politics*.
Keep in mind that ID is not science. The ID issue is being
fought using political means for political reasons.

The political people who advocate ID are professionals at
what they do. They are smart, highly motivated, and well
funded.

B) The second reason why some people advocate ID is
*religious dogma*. Some people have convinced themselves,
based on the inerrant Word of God, that evolution cannot be
true. Given the choice between ID and burning in hell for
all eternity, they choose ID.

You can and probably should explain to students about
"deep time" (i.e. millions of years) ... but you should
not imagine for an instant that this will have any impact
on those who believe in ID. Their minds are already made up.
They have decided, long ago, gthat dogma is more important
than facts. They have shown that they will not hesitate
to lie about the facts if it advances their agenda. For
details on this, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/intelligent-design-court-opinion.pdf

They hold science and scientists in contempt. If/when any
scientific facts come their way, they use the facts to shut
up the scientists ... much as a wicked babysitter might use
a lollipop to shut up a fussy baby. If the baby chokes on
the lollipop and dies, so much the better from their point
of view.

Remember what James Randi said: Scientists are easier to
fool than children. Randi is a professional magician, so
he deeply understands what is involved in fooling people.
And he did not say that out of disrespect to scientists;
his point simply is that scientists are not accustomed to
being lied to.

Also remember the proverb: Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

ID is not science. My advice: do not try to refute ID on
scientific grounds; that would be just bringing a knife to a
gunfight. If you think scientific facts will outweigh Divine
Truth, you grossly underestimate the problem you are facing.

Alspo: Do not fall into the trap that the ID proponents have
set. In particular, do not concede the point that ID is
science or should be treated on the same footing as science.
Do not argue against ID on scientific grounds, because that
would implicitly concede the crucial point.

ID is not science. ID is part politics and part religious
dogma.