Re: [Phys-l] Intelligent designists fight back

On Jan 10, 2008, at 1:12 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

I had an experience along these same lines years ago when I was
trying to model the tidal interaction of the moon and Earth, the
approach to synchronous rotation, and the orbital retreat of the moon
by building both bodies from several pieces that could be distorted
by tidal effects and dissipate energy in the process.

I let the simulation run and run and run and run for what seemed like
"forever"--easily HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of orbits--without much
noticeable effect. I was a little disappointed until I got to
thinking about the fact that the real moon had made TENS OF BILLIONS
of orbits around the real Earth and that even my simulation with one
orbit every few seconds or so would have to run for thousands of
years to duplicate that feat.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona