[Phys-L] Resonance with tuning forks vs small speakers

Howdy Physicists!

As a resonance activity, I bring a vibrating tuning fork towards a tube
that is open at one end and closed at the other. When tuned correctly, the
air in the tube loudly resonates.

Since tuning forks are expensive and every student has a phone with a
speaker, I've tried running the activity with a frequency generated by
their phone. To my ears, the sound generated by their phones is way louder
than the tuning fork, but when I put the phone next to the tube, the
amplitude increase is way less.

I wonder why they are so different. Do any of y'all have ideas?
--
*Marc "Zeke" Kossover | Educator, Teacher Institute*
zkossover@exploratorium.edu