Re: [Phys-L] Resonance with tuning forks vs small speakers

On 2022/Oct/28, at 12:03, Zeke Kossover via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

To my ears, the sound generated by their phones is way louder
than the tuning fork, but when I put the phone next to the tube, the
amplitude increase is way less.

I wonder why they are so different. Do any of y'all have ideas?

My mail program has degenerated to the extent I have difficulty reading all the replies — One idea I have is to use a thin plastic tube so the tube becomes a radiator. Of course the resonance will not be as ”sharp”.

The turning fork may have the advantage of using the stem against the tube, in this case a glass tube, perhaps.

bc must contact apple.

tuning forks from India are very inexpensive.