Re: [Phys-L] Resonance with tuning forks vs small speakers

the purity of the source sounds.

Alex. F. BurrIn a message dated 10/28/2022 1:03:51 PM Mountain Standard Time, phys-l@mail.phys-l.org writes:
Howdy Physicists! As a resonance activity, I bring a vibrating tuning fork towards a tubethat is open at one end and closed at the other. When tuned correctly, theair in the tube loudly resonates. Since tuning forks are expensive and every student has a phone with aspeaker, I've tried running the activity with a frequency generated bytheir phone. To my ears, the sound generated by their phones is way louderthan the tuning fork, but when I put the phone next to the tube, theamplitude increase is way less. I wonder why they are so different. Do any of y'all have ideas?-- *Marc "Zeke" Kossover | Educator, Teacher Institute*zkossover@exploratorium.eduMuseum: Pier 15, San Francisco, CA 94111Mailing: 17 Pier, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94111_______________________________________________Forum for Physics EducatorsPhys-l@mail.phys-l.orghttps://www.phys-l.org/mailman/listinfo/phys-l