[Phys-L] Fwd: AC power calculations

The 65W apple power supply is a high current device;
as a general rule capacitive droppers are not, though there
are some pretty skeevy aftermarket consumer power supps out there.

There’s a bit of a history of aftermarket phone chargers in
particular killing folk charging their phones while talking in the tub.
Just google “phone charger kill” for stories. US code requires isolation
yadda yada but there are some cheap devices from China that
counterfeit the markings or simply sell direct. Second and third
world devices are simply dangerous; most of the resulting
deaths occur in Russia, India, China etc.

If these are plugged in backwards (or someone reversed polarity
at the outlet), some of these devices put out stupidly high voltage
and (stupidly high voltage - 5V) on the USB output pins.

These aftermarkets that kill folk are usually capacitive droppers.
A fun guy who talks about CD in everyday devices whilst
“taking them to bits” and analyzing the circuits is Big Clive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM5lMykvB7A
http://www.bigclive.com/ledlmp.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYiItZRUsQU

The 65W apple charger is a-going to be loaded with inductors and
is almost certainly a switching PS. I’ve recently discovered to my dismay
that I can hear faint 60Hz buzzing on my microphone line teaching
online classes from an apple laptop ONLY when I use aftermarket
USB C power supplies (I’m assuming NOT a capacitive dropper).
It definitely pays to buy better equipment if you press it hard.

Dan M