Re: [Phys-L] Fasting Physics

On 3/1/2019 5:55 PM, Bill Norwood via Phys-l wrote:
/snip/ - What you write makes it clear to me that there is no way, from either the
standpoint of a physicist's thinking or a chemist's thinking, to put
together an energy expenditure table/list which would be understandable by
any layman.
- I do not buy it.
- My reaction is that laymen should retract/block funding from the involved
academics. /snip/
I did not understand this paragraph from Bill's note supporting a physician's well-publicized ideas on the role of fasting on recovery from injuries.

It appears that the author in question, Joel Fuhrman MD wrote his book, Fasting and Eating for Health, after recovering from an injury sustained while competing in ice figure-skating, and after losing much muscle mass being excluded from the Olympic team in consequence of this wasting episode. Twelve years later, with a general practice degree in hand, he has by now written a number of popular dieting books featuring fasting.

 Perhaps I could mention two anecdotes which come to mind in this connection.   A flight instructor with whom I worked, was an enthusiast for natural eating and derogated the medical approach to cancer for example, citing poisons and problems with ionizing radiation.
 It happened that he developed a cancer in the neck, and resisted orthodox treatments for the reasons given. After a few months, I was dismayed to see he was having difficulty speaking because the now massive growth was pressing on his wind-pipe.
When he stopped working, I was fairly sure I was in his last days. Imagine my surprise when, several months later, he was working again, and looking very much normal and unafflicted.
I asked how he had pulled off his convincing recovery. He said that with his wife's insistence on his seeking medical help,
he reluctantly underwent the usual cancer therapy featuring burning x-rays, chemo-therapy etc, etc.

The second anecdote: two years ago, my horse, a Morgan gelding, presented with stumbling, wobbling, seeming deafness and semi-blindness and an uncharacteristic aversion to human company. These are symptoms of two serious horse diseases, one viral, the other due to parasitic invasion of the central nervous system. After examinations by two vets, and blood sampling for lab tests it was confirmed that the second alternative was implicated - a disease with a roughly 50% survival rate - in some cases with subsequent loss of vitality.    The horse recovered, as it happened. I mention the episode because when I could herd the horse close to a feed tray, he would eat normally, and did so every day.

I conclude that using evidence based therapy is still not universal, but using orthodox treatment is  the best alternative we have available, presently. What is more, my horse anecdote is opposed to the 'thousands-of-years' observations of animals fasting to recover from injury or illness.

Brian W