[Phys-L] Fasting Physics

Hi. Phys-L,
- I am now in the 12th day of a who-knows-how-many-day fast.
- In my discussions I had been mentioning the energy physics of fasting,
when someone asked me to write up something explaining it
- My motivation for addressing the energy expenditure is that if I do not
waste energy during the fast I will be able to fast longer as the body
expends more and more energy on healing throughout the body.
- Here is what I wrote. Did I get it right? Did I miss anything?
Thanks,
Bill Norwood
Retired from U of MD at College Park

Fasting Physics

For a longer water-only fast, especially if not fat, one needs to consider
the various ways that maximum healing energy can be made available for the
body's healing work:

1. The water-only rule insures that the massive chemical and ("muscle")
energy expended in digestion will be reduced to essentially zero.

2. Overdressing 24/7, if not in a hot climate, will relieve the body of the
necessity to expend much energy in order to keep the body warm.

3. Limiting the exercising and walking about reduces the mechanical energy
expended.

4. Limiting the stress reduces the brainwork and the heart rate, both
organs, along with the digestive system, being major users of energy.