Re: [Phys-L] Fasting Physics

On 3/1/19 2:38 PM, Bill Norwood via Phys-l wrote:

- I am now in the 12th day of a who-knows-how-many-day fast.

😟

- Here is what I wrote. Did I get it right? Did I miss anything?

Fasting Physics

For a longer water-only fast, especially if not fat, one needs to consider
the various ways that maximum healing energy can be made available for the
body's healing work:

1. The water-only rule insures that the massive chemical and ("muscle")
energy expended in digestion will be reduced to essentially zero.

2. Overdressing 24/7, if not in a hot climate, will relieve the body of the
necessity to expend much energy in order to keep the body warm.

3. Limiting the exercising and walking about reduces the mechanical energy
expended.

4. Limiting the stress reduces the brainwork and the heart rate, both
organs, along with the digestive system, being major users of energy.

Reading between the lines, I surmise that you wouldn't be
doing this unless there was something terrible happening.
I am very sorry to hear about that. See recommendations
below.

As for the physics, the main thing you missed is that
conservation of energy is not the only law of physics.
There are, among others, 92 separate conservation laws,
i.e. one for each chemical element. In the absence of
nutrition, healing of one part requires catabolysis of
some other part(s), which is not a sustainable strategy.

In addition, there are 10 essential amino acids and
various micronutrients (aka vitamins) that cannot be
made in the human body, but can be destroyed. These
give rise to a number of paraconservation laws (i.e.
inequalities rather than equalities). If you are not
getting a good supply of these from food, then healing
is out of the question and irreversible damage (including
brain damage) becomes the relevant question.

Recommendations:
-- If this is a protest, you might want to consider other
forms of protest. Long-term fasting is Not Good for you.
-- You mentioned healing. If you want to heal, you need
nutrition. If you can't stand the thought of food, that
itself is a symptom of serious GI or liver disease. If
you are so sick that you can't eat, you should ask about
Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN).
-- If you are trying to lose weight, you still need to
eat a healthy balanced diet. Make sure you get plenty
of protein, plenty of micronutrients, and an adequate
amount of fiber. Then, to balance the energy budget,
exercise. It takes a *lot* of exercise, but don't go
crazy all at once; build up to it gradually.