From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Richard Tarara
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:58 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Legitimate Phys-L topics.

It would be nice if just assigning this reading assignment would work
with H.S. and General Education classes, but in my experience it won't
(can't even get some in the class to buy the books much less read
them.) It really can be like the proverbial 'mule' and a workable 2x4
can be a well done video presentation. [I only tried showing two
seriously flawed but oppositely themed ones ONCE--and seeing that such
just produced confusion, have stayed with the NOVA/FRONTLINE one that
seems to work best--based on short essays the students write after
viewing.] I can blame 'pop culture' for some of the pedagogical
difficulties, but it is what it is, and IMO, better to use it than to
fight it. Once effectively stunned, then one can use information such
as that you suggest below (thanks--will include the 12 points in class
materials), but if you think this kind of class would read much beyond
(even if assigned) you haven't worked with this level of student (taking
a 'required' course). :-(

rwt