Re: [Phys-L] Legitimate Phys-L topics.

It would be nice if just assigning this reading assignment would work with H.S. and General Education classes, but in my experience it won't (can't even get some in the class to buy the books much less read them.) It really can be like the proverbial 'mule' and a workable 2x4 can be a well done video presentation. [I only tried showing two seriously flawed but oppositely themed ones ONCE--and seeing that such just produced confusion, have stayed with the NOVA/FRONTLINE one that seems to work best--based on short essays the students write after viewing.] I can blame 'pop culture' for some of the pedagogical difficulties, but it is what it is, and IMO, better to use it than to fight it. Once effectively stunned, then one can use information such as that you suggest below (thanks--will include the 12 points in class materials), but if you think this kind of class would read much beyond (even if assigned) you haven't worked with this level of student (taking a 'required' course). :-(

rwt